Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Policy Maker

October 26, 1995

A recent occurrence was a reminder that long ago I was the cause of a change of policy in the Everett School system. On my part, it certainly was not a deliberate intention.

As a young teen-ager in the gym at Parlin Junior High, I was involved with the rest of the (boys’) class in some sort of circle chase. I’ve forgotten the name of the gym teacher. Anyway, I was running around the outside of the circle in my new, leather (four dollar) Thom McAn shoes. The combination of the new leather soles and the polished gym floor propelled me air-borne; I landed hard and broke the bone in my left forearm.

I was taken to Whidden Hospital; the break was set; a plaster cast put on and I was brought home.

Because of my accident, the school set a policy that all students must wear “sneakers” (as we called them then) in the gym.

I cannot think of any other event in my life that resulted in so quick a change of policy. Another memory of that event was the devilish itch under the cast that could not be scratched. That was frustration!

This memory was dredged up when I took a fall on the walkway in the Jefferson Center grounds. The concrete slab was raised a bit, probably because of tree roots. I had my head in the clouds, or something, so I stumbled and went down hard. No lasting damage, although my rib cage and wrist were painfully sore for a few days.

Again, my fall changed things. The raised slabs are painted bright yellow and in some cases cemented to form a small ramp.

But I also remembered a sermon preached nearly a half-century ago by my old friend and colleague, Francis Rockwell. Contradicting Emerson’s “Hitch Your Wagon To A Star,” Frank proposed, “Hitch Your Wagon To A Horse,” emphasizing that ideals need practical efforts and ways. If my eyes had been toward the walk, I probably would not have gone down.

But if you choose to believe that I was a clumsy fellow at Parlin Junior High School and still am in Jefferson Center, I will not dispute you.

No comments: