Saturday, April 17, 2010

Gratitude (Inadequately expressed)

April 20, 1995

For years I have been somewhat persuaded “there is no ‘free lunch’ ” - always a price-tag that might arrive later, a point of view influenced by good drink and food, for every positive there is a negative, almost everyone has an “angle”, etc. I was wrong because I have experienced more than one “free lunch” lately (and many times in the past when I am candid with myself).

I learned that more fully in the six nights and days in Room 2014 in the Cardiac Intervention Unit at Lakeland Regional Hospital. Doctors Brown and Reddy were frank and plain-spoken, describing my condition in words I could understand. The nurses in CIU were skillful and competent. More than that, they were kind, prompt, caring, and gifted with that priceless quality, a sense of humor. They eased the long hours I was hooked up to more than one IV, a Foley catheter (ugh), an oxygen thing up my nose, and so on. So, to Andrea, Sandra, Lonny, Nan, Trish, Eddi, Candy, Jan, I quote Shakespeare, (Measure for Measure, Act III, Sc. 1) where the Duke says to Isabella,

“the hand that hath made you fair
hath made you good.”

Add to that the gracious, generous, unqualified support of best friends and family:

Sara immediately coming to drive me to the hospital when Dr. Michael Brown said I should not drive my own auto from Watson Clinic South; and her many cheerful acts of comfort, service, transportation.

Sons and daughters: John taking a whole week from his heavy responsibilities and very busy schedule to take care of me; cooking up a quantity of low-sodium meals; cleaning industriously, renting videos, and getting me on the track of necessary improvements and hiring a cleaning service and much more.

Janet on the phone every day from Oregon, talking with nurses, doctors, me. Then calling the others to report and interpret my condition.

Marj and Bill, very supportive and standing by to come and stay if needed (not at this time, I’m doing O.K.).

Anne Crosby, RN, with her cheerful home visits.

Good, helpful neighbors, Peggy and Ed Wheeler.

Bill Walcheck, helping to pick up my auto at the Clinic and bring it back here; and also Bill transporting John to and from the Airport.

Flowers from grandchildren brightening room 2014.

Other close friends visiting in hospital and keeping in touch.

So, I know there IS “free lunch” and it stimulates me not only to be grateful to those I’ve named; and others I’ve not named, but also to muse theologically.

Historian Daniel Boorstin, in his book of essays, CLEOPATRA’S NOSE, reviews the various cosmological theories: Steady-State, Big Bang, Eternally Inflating Big Bang. Then he quotes “Alan Guth’s unforgettable suggestion that ‘the Universe is the ultimate free lunch.’ ”

Voyager 2, launched in 1977, traveling at about 61,000 miles an hour, will reach within one light-year of Sirius, the Dog Star, in the year A.D. 359,000 (and this is only 1995).

And here we are, feeling, thinking, living amidst this vast mystery. Pogo was correct, “You’re lucky to be here in the first place.” Furthermore, to be here and functioning in my 9th decade because of the affection, skill and care of persons – not the Grace of God, because I don’t know if She exists, but rather the Grace of Persons who care. It doesn’t get any better than this, whatever lies ahead.

No comments: