Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Unique Experience

January 7, 2002

Jefferson Center, where I live, has 201 apartments and more than 200 people live here. There are some couples but most of us live alone.

Every year there is a recognition luncheon for those residents who are 90 years old or older. As I now qualify for this group, I was included in those being honored at a luncheon today.

There are at present 12 residents who are 90 or older. Being one of the 12 is a unique experience for me.

At today’s luncheon, five of us being honored sat together. I was the only male. One of the 12 is at a rehab facility. I don't know why the other six were absent. Other Jefferson residents sat at other tables.

We were entertained by a family singing group whose repertoire, outside of “Jingle Bells,” was entirely Christian gospel which was appreciated, apparently, by most of those present. I personally would have preferred some secular music, but I kept a straight face and applauded politely.

The leader of the group, the mother, talked proudly about her seven children. They all have biblical names ending in “h”. With her today, and doing some singing and movements to music, were Sarah, Josiah, and Zachariah, about 7, 8, and 10 years old, respectively.

We were then served a nice lunch of sandwiches cut in triangles, potato chips and grapes. (Nobody asked me why I didn’t touch the grapes.) Dessert was a delicious cake with ice cream.

Of the five of us 90-plus sitting together, the most remarkable person was the oldest. Mildred Flick is 98; walks with considerably more vigor than I and the others can; has good vision – she does put on reading glasses; her mind is alert and “with it”; and told us she takes no medications. How about that!!!

Sitting next to me was Malva, a friend who is one of the better bridge players in Jefferson. She gets around on a battery-powered wheel chair. She is one year older than I am. We have played many hands of bridge. This we have enjoyed, particularly when we are partners, because our bidding gives us some idea of the shape of the partner’s hand. With some other players at Jefferson, this is a complete mystery.

Becoming qualified for this “exclusive” club of 90s-plus was a pleasant occasion. It would be nice to be around for next year's recognition luncheon.

No comments: