Thursday, July 15, 2010

Labor Day – 2004

September 6, 2004

In Florida this year, Labor Day is not a day for picnics, ball games, or family visits. Hurricane Frances has paralyzed this peninsula State. Damage is in the billions. Thousands are living in shelters.

I am particularly conscious of the real meaning of Labor Day. I have been a labor union member. Labor Day celebrates working men and women, and the gains they have achieved in working conditions and wages. Furthermore, it is a day to emphasize the work ways that still need improvement.

Why am I now particularly conscious of the meaning of this day? Because working men and women have sustained those of us who need much help to stay alive. Here at the Beneva Park Club, the auxiliary generator is functioning, providing not only light and air conditioning, but also power for the oxygen machines, making it unnecessary for those of us who have a constant need for oxygen to run to emergency and portable tanks and canisters.

More particularly, we “inmates” are thankful for the staff who came through difficult and sometimes dangerous conditions of rain, wind, and flooded streets to get here and serve us. All public transportation was canceled.

Lydia was here to make my bed at 7:45 a.m. Teri and Jacui were dispensing pills and giving shots as usual. There was enough kitchen staff to make our usual and plentiful breakfasts. The young women waiting on tables were as always their polite and competent selves.

Workers of the world and at the Beneva Park Club, we thank you and salute you.

In AS YOU LIKE IT, Shakespeare has Corin the shepherd say,

“Sir, I am a true labourer: I earn that I eat, get
that I wear, owe no man hate, envy no man’s
happiness, glad of other men’s good, content with my
harm, and the greatest of my pride is to see my ewes
graze and my lambs suck.”

(Act III, Sc. ii)

No comments: