Monday, July 5, 2010

Introduction To Musings XIII

December 2002

HOLIDAY GREETINGS

As the Solstice draws near, which has sparked several religious traditions, 1 wish everyone much happiness, warm memories, and wonder-full moments.

This year has been traumatic and dramatic for me and my large family. We were shocked and grieved that daughter, Janet Newton in Oregon, was diagnosed with A.L.S. (the Lou Gehrig disease), for which there is no known cure. She has endured much pain and suffering. Her husband, Ron, is constantly at her side with love and hope. Their children, Christina and Ian have been strong and loving. Other members of the family and friends have rallied around.

As we have experienced these tragic days and months, I have found meaning in the anonymous saying, “Love can break your heart; but it’s worth it.” I won’t try to elaborate that, but if you reflect on that saying long enough, you will catch the profound meaning.

This year has been dramatic for me, too. I made the decision to move to an “Assisted Living Facility.” I am content that I made the decision myself. No one had to make it for me.

In my sixth month here at the Beneva Park Club, I know that my move was a proper one at this time of my life.

Although costs have risen beyond my anticipation, the staff is competent, friendly, and caring. Living here is a good experience.

There are fewer Musings than other years. I am a bit pessimistic about political and international issues.

This has resulted in fewer judgments, perhaps, than in other years. However the events of this year have caused me to think upon some words of Reinhold Niebuhr (from “The Irony of American History”).

I did not appreciate Niebuhr when he was alive. He could make “Liberals” quite uncomfortable. But I have thought much about the following quotation, particularly in discouraging hours:

“Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in our lifetime; therefore we must be saved by hope. Nothing which is true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history; therefore we must be saved by faith. Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone; therefore we are saved by love. No virtuous act is quite as virtuous from the standpoint of our friend or foe as it is from our standpoint. Therefore we must be saved by the final form of love, which is forgiveness.”

This is deep wisdom, particularly to one in the declining years.

I sign off with unbounded affection to you and yours,
Carl

No comments: